Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tapping into the soul of place writer's workshop

“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca

It’s rather funny that I went half way around the world to learn to write about my place, but well worth it! I was able to get away, settle in, and write about place with renewed excitement from master teacher, Linda Lappin. Linda, fellow writer Sandy Sims from California, and I would discuss writing about place and read from authors like Mary Sarton, Linda Hogan, Patricia Hampl, and Shirley Hazzard. Linda gave excellent instruction on how to observe different things about places. She also discussed with us travel-writing approaches. I learned a lot of specific writing skills that will help me describe my own place and the places I visit better. Much of this writing, reading, and discussion happened in Linda’s courtyard or home. It was lovely!

Along this journey, I did not only learn about how to become a better writer of place, but I made some dear friends, too. Linda, her husband Sergio, and Sandy were delightful people I have been enriched by through this experience. I am grateful for my time with them and for having the chance to learn from them. I am blessed!

http://www.pokkoli.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment